Curry is a speciality dish in our house, whether chicken, egg or another protein, it's a comforting dish that reminds me of home. Our Roasted Eggplant Curry is a take on a vegetarian curry which has a Thai, Caribbean and Indian influences as it incorporates wild and brown rice, cilantro, and yogurt. I have never had yogurt with curry, but the zing and tanginess of the sheep yogurt melding with the spicy curry, earthy rice and roasted eggplant left me licking the bowl and returning for seconds.
Bon appetit xo
Chef Sous Chef
Roasted Eggplant Curry
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 8-10 leaves cilantro
- No. 1 | Preheat oven to 400°.
- No. 2 | Cut eggplants into large chunks, about ¾” ensuring skin is on each piece. Place eggplant into large roasting pan and coat generously with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Roast for 45 minutes, flipping once about halfway through.
- No. 3 | Meanwhile, dice the onion, peel the potatoes and cut into ½” chunks and finely dice habanero pepper.
- No. 4 | Using a small bowl, mix together curry powder, cumin, garam masala, salt and about ¼ cup water.
- No. 5 | In a very hot pan, add olive oil and quickly pour in curry mixture. Stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- No. 6 | Add onions, potatoes and habanero pepper and stir to coat. Lower heat to medium and cover. Check on it every minute or so and once the curry starts to coat the bottom of the pan, add ¼ cup of chicken stock to deglaze. Cover again and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- No. 7 | Stir in tomato paste and the rest of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until eggplant is done.
- No. 8 | Once eggplant is done, add yogurt to curry, mix then add eggplant. Carefully stir the eggplant into the curry being sure not to let it break down too much.
- No. 9 | Simmer for additional 5 minutes then serve with rice or potatoes.
- No. 10 | Garnish with cilantro and an additional scoop of yogurt.