Whole30 Eggplant Mini Pizzas
No gluten, no worries. These eggplant pizzas will have you licking your fingers with each blissful bite.
- 2 large eggplants cut into ½ inch discs
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 150 g Prosciutto
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can Italian tomatoes (746ml)
- 18 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup clarified butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- No. 1 | Make tomato sauce - Pour tomatoes and garlic in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in 5-6 basil leaves, season with salt, cover and simmer for at least an hour. Preheat oven to 425°
- No. 2 | Prepare eggplant crust - Lay eggplant slices on a clean towel. Sprinkle salt on both sides and let sit for 20-30 mins. Dab any excess liquid from eggplants, arrange on baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 20 minutes
- No. 3 | Caramelize onions - In a frying pan on medium heat, heat olive oil, add sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins or until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper, remove from pan, and set aside
- No. 4 | Cook the mushrooms - In the same frying pan used for the onions, heat to medium high. Add olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside
- No. 5 | Make the hollandaise - Bring 2 cups of water to a soft boil. Place egg yolks and lemon juice in a stainless steel bowl and whisk vigorously until doubled in volume. Place bowl on simmering pot (be sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Slowly add clarified butter while whisking until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, add cayenne and season with salt
- No. 6 | Assemble the pizzas - On top of each eggplant, add a spoonful of tomato sauce, some mushrooms, a spoonful of caramelized onions, a dollop of hollandaise, then a scrunched up piece of prosciutto
- No. 7 | Bake at 450° for 10 mins, or until proscuitto is crisp. Place a basil leaf on top and enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?Tag us on Instagram @chef.souschef or use the hashtag #chefsouschef and let us know how it was!