Smoked from the open fire and sandwiched between bannock, our Canadian Breakfast Sandwich is made with Canadian pork, eggs and melty Avonlea Cheddar Cheese.
The August long weekend is definitely our favourite holiday during the summer months. It's the weekend we pack our car with our tent and matches, runners and warm sweaters, and pots, skillets and pantry staples, and head north to Algonquin Provincial Park. Camping this time of year comes with the most opportune weather: hot days, cool nights and most importantly few bugs, perfect for outdoor activities and cooking a Canadian Breakfast Sandwich over the roaring fire.
For us, cooking while camping goes beyond grilled hot dogs, s'mores and processed foods, and instead focuses on real food that makes you feel good, healthy and energized for long hikes and canoe rides.
The perfect start to any activity is ensuring you start your day with a well-rounded, protein packed and hearty breakfast, and there is no better dish to serve in our great Canadian landscape than our great Canadian Breakfast Sandwich.
Smoked from the open fire and sandwiched between bannock, our Canadian Breakfast Sandwich is made with Canadian pork, eggs and melty Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar Cheese from Prince Edward Island. Cheese, nature’s gift to humans and the best thing you could put between two slices of bannock, is a true craftsmanship.
Canadian cheese especially, is a tailored expression of individual cheesemakers and is as diverse as the regions of Canada they call home. The cheese of the true north is creative and special, and while distinct from our European neighbours, is respectful of rules and tradition but is not bound to it, and Avonlea Cheddar is no exception.
This award-winning cheese is aged for 14 months and adds aromas of fruit and toasted nuts with a tangy finish to the freshly made bannock, grilled patties and over easy egg. Breakfast doesn't get any more Canadian than this.
Chef Sous Chef
The Great Canadian Breakfast Sandwich
- 12 slices Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon oil for frying
- Sausage Patties
- 1 lb ground pork or sausage
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- No. 1 | Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork or knife until the flour is in pea-sized pieces. Mix in the egg and ¼ cup milk. Mix together until it forms a dough and add more milk if needed. Divide into 6 pieces .
- No. 2 | In a large skillet, heat oil to medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the bannock until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and fry the other side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm until ready to use.
- No. 3 | Mix together the pork or sausage, maple syrup, ground pepper and salt. Form into six ¼” thick patties. Using the same skillet as the bannock, cook the sausage patties until brown and caramelized on both sides. Keep warm until you assemble the sandwiches.
- No. 4 | Again, using the same skillet, fry your as desired. We prefer over-easy eggs but scrambled or sunny side up is a great alternative.
- No. 5 | Assemble the sandwiches by cutting the bannock in half. Spread with dijon mustard. Place an egg on the bottom, then sausage, and 2-3 slices of Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar Cheese. Place in broiler or covered skillet until the cheese melts. Garnish with greens of your choice.