Creamy and comforting, yet bright and light all at the same time, our One-Pot Gnocchi with Creamy Lemon Sauce is a quick dinner and all-season favourite perfect for the spring... served with a glass of white wine or Prosecco.
When it comes to pasta there's no beginning or end – pasta season is every season, and we're perfectly okay with that. Whether it's a Creamy Carbonara or a decadent Mac and Cheese for Adults, pasta is an evergreen dish that can be made seasonal with a wide variety of methods, techniques, ingredients, and of course, shapes.
Inspired by spring, our Gnocchi with Creamy Lemon Sauce embraces the freshness of lemon juice and zest and is made even more delicate with the aromatic balance of basil and the crisp sharpness of cracked black pepper. It's a delicious combination that adds even more lightness to a fluffy gnocchi dish but still revels in the satisfying comforts found in a cream sauce.
Creamy and comforting yet bright and light all at the same time, our Gnocchi with Creamy Lemon Sauce is made in one-pot and is an all-season favourite perfect for the spring... served with a glass of white wine or Prosecco.
One-Pot Gnocchi with Lemon Cream Sauce Ingredients
• Olive oil - light olive oil is best for cooking, but extra virgin works well too. If you don't have olive oil, substitute it with another neutral-flavored oil.
• Gnocchi - we use fresh gnocchi, but frozen or dried will work too. The cooking times will change - test doneness before finishing.
• Parmesan cheese - We always use Parmigiano-Reggiano. There is no comparison and it really doesn't cost much more than pre-grated on a price-per-gram basis.
• Heavy cream - 35% is best, but lighter cream can work as well, it just may need to cook longer to thicken.
• Vegetable stock - substitute it with chicken stock if you're not going vegetarian.
• Basil - Fresh basil - always!
• Shallots - one large or two small shallots will be finely minced.
• Garlic - one large or two small cloves minced or crushed.
• Sea salt - we love coarse salt.
• Lemon - both the zest and juice will be used.
• Pepper - use freshly ground pepper for maximum flavor.
[sp_index title="Pasta Recipes" cat="pasta" display_date="no" cat_link_text="All Pasta Recipes" ]
How to Make One-Pot Gnocchi with Lemon Cream Sauce
1. Prepare Your Ingredients
The prep for our creamy lemon one-pot gnocchi is simple, finely dice the shallots and garlic. Grate the parmesan and lemon zest. Finally, clean the basil and pat it dry. That's it!
2. Make the Lemon Cream Sauce
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or deep skillet. Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute, then add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds or so.
2. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
3. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon.
4. Pour in the cream and bring it to a simmer.
3. Cook the Gnocchi
Once the cream just begins to simmer, add the gnocchi and season with salt, pepper, and three-quarters of the lemon zest. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the gnocchi is soft and tender, and the sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. For fresh gnocchi this will take about 7 minutes, for frozen or dry, it will take about 10 minutes.
4. How to Finish and Style the Gnocchi
1. Once the gnocchi is cooked and the sauce is thickened, add the basil. We like the look of large torn basil leaves, but chopped basil is fine too, just make sure it's fresh.
2. Add a handful of freshly grated parmesan, give it a stir and remove it from the heat.
3. Plate the gnocchi in your favorite pasta bowl. Top with a generous sprinkling of parmesan and basil. Add remaining lemon zest and a few more cracks of pepper.
Shop our One-Pot Gnocchi with Lemon Cream Sauce and Basil
Shop the look, shop the styling, shop the recipe
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our One-Pot Gnocchi Recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
Our Favourite Essential Cooking Tools
- All-Clad Measuring Cups and Spoons
- John Boos Cutting Board
- Box Grater
- Microplane Grater
- Le Creuset Saucier
- Global Chef's Knife
One-Pot Gnocchi with Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb gnocchi fresh, dry, or frozen
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Heat a large saucepan or deep skillet on medium-high heat. Pour in olive oil, and once hot, add the shallots. Sauté for about 1 minute, stirring often, then add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then stir in the cream. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the cream just begins to simmer, stir in the gnocchi, three-quarters of the lemon zest, a good pinch of salt and pepper, and lower heat to medium.
- Cook the gnocchi for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thickened and the gnocchi is soft to the bite. Tear about 1 cup of loosely packed basil into the gnocchi and stir in three-quarters of the parmesan.
- Use a large shallow bowl and spoon in a portion of the gnocchi. Sprinkle remaining parmesan over top. Finely 2 to 3 leaves of basil and sprinkle over the plate with several cracks of pepper and remaining lemon zest.
- Cooking time will need to be adjusted based on the type of gnocchi being used. Frozen or dry gnocchi will take longer to cook than fresh gnocchi.
- Vegetable stock can be substituted with chicken or beef stock.