We’ve channeled the bright and golden attributes of the sun into this Roasted Carrot Soup enlightened with freshly grated ginger and the juice of a navel orange. I guess you could call it a bowl full of sunshine, or if you're feeling fancy, you could call it a super blingy 24 Carrot and Ginger Soup.
January 2017 was noted as being one of the gloomiest January's in the history of Toronto with 28 fewer sunny hours than average. The days we did have sun, I'd perch in front of the window, shut my eyes and summon the vitamin D into my skin as though it instantly surcharged my happiness.
Now that we're a few short weeks away from Spring, we've channeled the bright and golden attributes of the sun into this Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup enlightened with squeeze of fresh orange juice.
Throat warming and hearty, this soup is creamy and bright with rich notes of carrot, zingy notes of orange and spicy notes of ginger. Serve for lunch or even cold winter nights.
Chef Sous Chef
How to Make Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup:
Roast the Carrots
Preheat your oven to 425°. Peel and roughly chop the carrots into half inch chunks. Place in a roasting pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Make the Base of the Soup
Heat your soup pot up with some olive oil. Saute the onions, then the garlic, ginger and orange zest. Add the roasted carrots, making sure to get any bits stuck to the bottom of the roasting pan. Use the orange juice or water to help lift it from the pan if necessary. Pour in the water and orange juice, then toss in the bay leaf.
Simmer and Blend
Allow the soup to simmer so all the flavours develop, at least 20 minutes. You can serve the soup as it, but we love our soups blended, so remove the bay leaf and allow the soup to cool slightly. Using a hand blender or your stand blender, pulse the soup to a smooth and creamy consistency. Add back to the soup pot and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish and Enjoy
Now you're ready to eat your Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup. Garnish with some fresh basil and a spoonful of coconut milk. After you eat, make sure to leave us a comment and check out some of our other soup recipes.
Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup with Orange
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs carrots rough chopped about ½ inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 small bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- coconut milk
- No. 1 | Preheat the oven to 425°.
- No. 2 | Place the carrots in a roasting pan and toss with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, until soft and caramelized.
- No. 3 | Once the carrots are roasted, heat your soup pot on medium high heat with the rest of the olive oil. Add chopped onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Add the roasted carrots, orange juice, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- No. 3 | Remove the bay leaf and blend the soup using an immersion blender or countertop blender. Add the salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as preferred.
- No. 4 | Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with basil and coconut milk.
- If you are in a rush, you can skip roasting the carrots. Adjust by chopping the carrots into smaller pieces and sautéing with the onions.