Decadent and chocolatey, with hints of honey and toasted sesame, our Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake with Honey Whipped Cream is a simple and elegant gluten-free cake to celebrate any occasion or just-because moments.
By now you probably know the tale of Philip, his five siblings and them growing up in a house filled with dietary allergies. Whether fish, shellfish, dairy, nuts and gluten, their parents Peter and Patricia always tried their hardest to serve all six children the same dish no matter the allergy. A regular in most households, peanut butter and jam was one of the more deathly cases – gluten and peanuts were high on the list – and a more popular solve was always tahini and jam on rice bread.
Inspired by the clever substitutions of Philip's childhood, our Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake with Honey Whipped Cream pays homage to nut and gluten-free desserts, and while isn't replacing peanut butter with tahini, infuses the cake with the earthy, nutty flavor of sesame seeds that is then mirrored in the toasted sesame seed topping. A true adult dessert, our Flourless Cake with Honey Whipped Cream is a naturally gluten-free cake with a base that begins with melted dark chocolate and butter combined with tahini, then bound together with eggs and cocoa for an even richer chocolate flavour.
After baking to a fudgy consistency, a dollop of honey whipped cream is placed on top with a sprinkling and toasted sesame seeds. It's a dessert beautiful enough to mimic the experience of eating in any restaurant, but simple enough to make for any occasion or just because moment.
How to Make Our Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake Recipe
Ingredients for Our Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake
Dark chocolate (75%), salted butter, tahini, sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, sea salt, whipping cream, and honey.
Preheat your oven to 300° F. Prepare a double boiler by bringing a small pot of water, filled one quarter, to a boil. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Make the Batter
Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat-safe bowl placed on top of the boiling water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, then the tahini. Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined, then stir in the cocoa powder.
Bake the Cake
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Smooth out the top and shake it a bit until the batter is evenly spread out. Place in the oven to bake for 45 to 50 minutes until lightly risen and the centre looks just slightly underdone.
Cool the cake in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove the form and transfer the cake, with the parchment paper to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Honey Whipped Cream
While the cake is baking, whip the cream until it begins to thicken. Pour in the honey and ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) vanilla. Continue whipping the cream until stiff peaks form. Keep the honey whipped cream cool until serving.
Toast the Sesame Seeds
Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add sesame seeds. Toast for 5 minutes stirring frequently until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl to cool
Make the Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake Beautiful
It doesn't take much to make this gluten-free cake look restaurant-worthy. A simple slice of cake placed in the centre of a plate and dolloped with whip cream and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Finish the cake with a small drizzle of honey to tie all the flavours together.
Shop our Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake Recipe
Shop the look, shop the styling, shop the recipe
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our tahini and chocolate flourless cake recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
- All-Clad Metal Whisk
- Duralex Glass Bowls
- Le Creuset Stainless-Steel Saucepan
- 9-inch Springform Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Sesame Seeds
- White Non-Stick Frying Pan
Thank you for helping support us through these purchases. If you have made this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!
Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake with Honey Whipped Cream
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat your oven to 300° F. Prepare a double boiler by bringing a small pot of water, filled one quarter, to a boil. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat-safe bowl placed on top of the boiling water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, then the tahini. Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined, then stir in the cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into a greased, 9-inch springform cake pan. Cook in the oven for 45 to 50 mins. The cake will look slightly underdone when you remove it.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove it from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whip cream to soft peaks. Drizzle in honey and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Place whip cream in the fridge until serving.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds in a non-stick frying pan and place on medium heat. Toast until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Dollop whipped cream on centre of cake and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.