Gluten-free, dairy-free, and sweetened with maple syrup with a hint of chocolate, our gluten-free banana bread recipe is seriously B A N A N A S. Plus, we're sharing Philip's mom's tip to ensuring a moist, gluten-free base using this simple ingredient.
Gluten-free. Dairy-free. Refined Sugar-free. What we love most about banana bread, aside from it being a fruit cake, is the natural sweetness that comes from overly ripened bananas. A staple recipe in our kitchen, our gluten-free banana bread is moist, decadent and subtly sweetened with maple syrup. But did you know that growing up Philip convinced himself he was allergic to bananas?!
As a child, Philip was diagnosed with celiac disease and while his intolerance has shifted as an adult, it was a challenge for his mom and grandmother to find alternative solutions to baked goods - banana bread included. During a recent conversation with his mom, Philip asked her how she removed gluten free flours from breads without the addition of gums and additional starches. She then shared with me the single best baking tip I've ever heard in my entire life. Are you ready for it?
Use any bread, cookie or cake recipe you choose and (wait for it) double the eggs. Thanks mom.
Bon Appetit xo
Chef Sous Chef
Guilt-Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ¼ cup nut milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- No. 1 | Preheat oven at 325°
- No. 2 | In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, cream coconut oil and maple syrup together
- No. 3 | Add eggs and whisk together until combined
- No. 4 | Add mashed banana, nut milk, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg, then whisk again
- No. 5 | Switch to the stirring attachment, add rice flour and stir until just combined. A few lumps are ok
- No. 6 | Remove half the mixture from the bowl and set aside
- No. 7 | Add cocoa to the remaining batter in mixer, and stir until well combined
- No. 8 | In a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan, add the chocolate batter and then the plain batter, or for a marble effect, add each mixture half at a time then using a knife swirl the batters together
- No. 9 | Bake for 1 hr 10 mins