The perfect breakfast for dinner, our Savoury French Toast topped with Bacon, Tomato, Avocado and a drizzle of fiesta sauce is sure to have you pressing pause and reconnecting.
Disclaimer: This recipe for Spicy and Savoury French Toast is sponsored by Metro. All opinions are our own.
Most weekday mornings, our day starts off with me jumping out of bed to the sound of my alarm, while Philip (already up for an hour) is starting his work day from home with the smell of french pressed coffee brewing in the background. What comes next is a mad dash between us getting ready, packing our lunch and running out the door to make it to work on time. And when I say most weekday mornings, lately it's been every morning.
Between working full-time jobs, and working weeknights on Chef Sous Chef, our mornings haven't been as relaxed as they used to be. Writing in our 5 Minute Journals over coffee, simple breakfasts and talk radio, was a routine that positively started our mornings, and a few special moments that I'd love to surprise Philip with.
While we can't change the bustle of our mornings, one of our favourite and super simple meals to eat for dinner is actually breakfast, and what better way to honour our favourite morning moment together than in the evening, where we don't have to rush off to work right away. The only problem is getting home in time with my groceries to make dinner before Philip gets in. Enter: Metro Online Grocery, Freshness Delivered to your Door.
With the recent launch of Metro's online ordering, it's never been easier to get fresh, hand selected ingredients delivered to your door in the Greater Toronto Area. For busy schedules like mine, the best part is I can place my grocery order at work and request same-day delivery or pick-up at select locations, meaning I have extra time to surprise Philip with date night before he gets home. On the menu: a Savoury French Toast with Bacon, Tomatoes and Avocado.
How to Make Savoury French Toast
Ingredients for Savoury French Toast
Make Our Fiesta Sauce
This creamy, bright and spicy sauce is what brings components of our Savoury French Toast together. This is a similar sauce we used in our Mexican-Inspired Crispy Chicken Wings. Make the sauce by whisking together sour cream, mayonnaise, zest and juice of one lime, garlic, half a teaspoon of chili powder, salt and pepper. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
Prepare Your Toppings
Prep is key when making this French toast, as you don't want it to get cold during assembly. Preheat your oven to 200° F to keep your hot ingredients warm for assembly. Start your bacon, laying it on a skillet, then placing it on medium-high heat. Cook until browned and crisp, then transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and place in the oven. Using the same pan, add tomatoes and season with pepper. Allow to cook until they begin to break and caramelized. Transfer to a heat proof bowl and place in the oven.
How to Make a Savoury French Toast Batter
Unlike a typical sweet batter, we're going for a savoury toast, so we're swapping sugar and cinnamon for chili powder and pepper. Start by cracking the eggs into a bowl, then pour in the milk and sprinkle in the chili powder, salt and pepper. Whisk it all together until light and fluffy.
How to Cook the French Toast
Heat your skillet on medium with a tablespoon of butter. Place two pieces of bread in the French Toast batter, flip and allow to soak for one minute. Once the butter has melted in the skillet, transfer the soaked bread to the heat, allowing any excess eggs to drip back into the bowl. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cooling rack and place in the oven to stay warm while you make the remaining French Toast.
Assemble and Eat
To assemble, place two pieces of french toast on a plate. Drizzle with sauce then top with bacon, avocado, and tomatoes. Drizzle with additional sauce then sprinkle with cilantro and feta cheese.
Chef Sous Chef
Helpful Tools for Making Our Savoury French Toast
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our Savoury French Toast recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
Thank you for helping support us through these purchases. If you have made this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!
Spicy and Savoury French Toast
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cloves garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 4 slices thick cut bread
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 avocado thinly sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Make the sauce by whisking together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Transfer to your fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- Lay bacon in a single layer on a skillet. Place on medium-high heat and cook turning once until brown and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and place in your oven to keep warm.
- In the same skillet add the tomatoes and lightly season with pepper. Sauté until they begin to pop and the skins darken. Transfer to a bowl and place in the oven to keep warm. Drain excess fat from the skillet and wipe dry.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chili powder, dry mustard and a pinch of salt. Return the skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter. Dip the bread, one at a time in the egg batter for 30 seconds, flip and soak an additional 30 seconds. Remove any excess egg and place in the heated skillet to cook for 6-8 minutes turning once. Cook 1 - 2 toasts at a time and place in oven to keep warm.
- To assemble, place two pieces of french toast on a plate. Drizzle with sauce then top with bacon, avocado, and tomatoes. Drizzle with additional sauce then sprinkle with feta cheese and cilantro.