Crisp on the outside and chewy on the outside, these Amaretti Cookies are gluten-free and dairy-free and the perfect cookie to serve for brunch or special occasions.
What we adore about these Amaretti Cookies is the simplicity of ingredients (naturally Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free), the easy-to-follow method and of course the shot of Amaretto liqueur adding to its rich almond and vanilla flavour. Crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, these Amaretti Cookies are truly heartfelt and are the perfect cookie to serve year-round at brunch, tea parties, or special occasions and make for the ultimate thinking of you, just because or token gift.
Here's How to Make Our Crisp & Chewy Amaretti Cookies
Ingredients to Make Amaretti Cookies
Almond flour, granulated sugar, sea salt, egg whites, amaretto liqueur, icing sugar, sliced almonds.
How to Make Amaretti Cookie Dough
Combine 2 ¾ cups (250g ) almond flour, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, and ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) sea salt in a bowl and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 3 egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Pour in ¼ cup (60 ml) amaretto and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites and gently fold the mixture until it forms a dough.
Roll the Cookies in Sugar
Spread ⅓ cup (70 g) of granulated sugar on one plate, and ⅓ cup (40 g) of icing sugar on another plate. Roll the dough into golf-ball-sized balls and roll in the granulated sugar until thinly coated. Next, roll the dough balls in the icing sugar until thickly coated.
Place the sugar covered dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Top, Bake and Cool the Amaretti Cookies
Place 2 to 3 almond slices on top of each cookie. Gently press the cookies down with the bottom of a small glass so they are about half an inch thick.
Bake in a 325° F oven for 13 to 15 minutes, until very lightly golden on the edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make Your Amaretti Cookies Beautiful
These are our favourite cookies to gift to friends during the holidays or special occasions. Pack 3 to 5 cookies in a small craft paper bag and neatly fold the top. Punch a hole in the centre and tie with a piece of twine with a piece of holly or eucalyptus and a notecard.
- 2 ¾ cups almond flour Approx 250g
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus ⅓ cup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup amaretto liqueur
- ⅓ cup icing sugar (for rolling)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 325° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, 1 cup granulated sugar and sea salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pour in the amaretto and continue to beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites and gently fold the mixture until it forms a dough.
- Spread the ⅓ cup of granulated sugar and icing sugar on separate plates. Form the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the granulated sugar until coated, and then roll in the icing sugar. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using the bottom of a glass slightly flatten the cookies. Sprinkle a few almond slivers on each cookie and press them into the cookies.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.