Rich, decadent and chocolatey and with a hint of peppermint, these Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Candy Cane bits are the ultimate cookie to serve over the holiday season.
Cookie exchanges are a holiday tradition Philip and I look forward to every year. But how do you host a cookie exchange? Invite a group of friends over and have each person bake a batch of cookies, enough for everyone at the party to get one. Then everyone arranges their cookies on a table, and everyone takes one of each cookie, filling their tin up with unique and assorted cookies. It’s a fun, easy and interactive way to entertain over the season, but our favourite part is that everyone leaves delicious bites and new cookie recipes.
Our classic, go-to cookie exchange recipe is our Crisp and Chewy Amaretti Cookies – and have become our staple, signature holiday cookie. But this year, we turned the classic chocolate and peppermint route with our Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Candy Cane. Soft and chewy, and rich and decadent, whether you’re exchanging these, eating them or leaving them out for Santa, these cookies truly evoke the holiday spirit with each chocolatey bite releasing effervescent, magical notes of peppermint.
HOW TO MAKE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES WITH CANDY CANE
Aside from their incredible taste, what we love about these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies is that the ingredients call for basic pantry staples, meaning it’s easy to whip them up, no need to purchase additional ingredients and chocolate, enough said. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cocoa powder: the darker the better for our double chocolate cookies.
- Chocolate Squares: for nibbling and chopping up fine to add to your batter.
- Candy Canes: smashed and rolled into your dough. This will provide crispy candy cane bites throughout.
- Pantry Ingredients: flour, baking powder, eggs, butter, sugar – the classic baking ingredients.
- Icing sugar: For rolling your cookies in before baking and dusting with after they’ve baked.
PREPARE YOUR INGREDIENTS
It’s always best to have all your ingredients ready to go before you start baking. For our Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, that means having your butter and eggs out at room temperature, your dark chocolate chopped and candy canes crushed. The chocolate can be roughly chopped to the size of chocolate chips. The reason we chop the chocolate as opposed to using chips is so that the tiny bits melt into the cookie, making for a rich and creamy texture. There are many ways for crush the candy canes, but our preferred method is to place the candy canes into a ramekin and then crushing them with the end of a rolling pin, or bottom of a mug.
MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH
To make the dough for our Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, we start by mixing the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and espresso in a small bowl. Set that aside, while you cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer for 2 minutes at medium-high speed. Once it is light in colour and the sugar almost dissolved into the butter, then add the eggs, one at a time, while the mixer is running on low. Then add the mint. Finally, while still mixing on low, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet. Once it has just combined, scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the candy cane and chocolate. Give one more very quick mix to distribute the chocolate and candy cane.
ROLL THE COOKIES AND BAKE
It’s best to work like an assembly line when rolling out the Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. Prepare a large dinner plate and a cereal bowl with a half cup of icing sugar. Using a tablespoon and a small dessert spoon, scoop out tablespoon size bits of dough onto a plate. Once you have used up the dough, roll them into balls using your hands. They don’t need to be perfectly round, but the cleaner, the better. Next, place them in the icing sugar. One by one, and roll them around with your fingers until they are completely coated in the icing sugar. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about an inch between them. Bake for 9 minutes, remove and cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Shop our Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Shop the look, shop the styling, shop the recipe
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our double chocolate crinkle cookies recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
- Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer
- Duralex Glass Bowls
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets
- All-Clad Measuring Cups and Spoons
Thank you for helping support us through these purchases. If you have made this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!
Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Candy Cane
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup salted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 2 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 3 oz candy canes broken into small chunks
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the granulated sugar and butter, starting on low speed then raising to medium speed for two minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, while mixing at low speed, then add the mint extract. While continuing to mix at low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the dark chocolate and candy cane.
- Set up your cookie rolling station with a large plate and a small mixing bowl with icing sugar. Scoop one tablespoon balls of dough onto a plate. Roll in the palm of your hands, then place in the icing sugar bowl. Roll the dough balls in the icing sugar until well coated, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about one inch between the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 9 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.