This one skillet chicken puttanesca highlights the trifecta of olives, capers and tomatoes with the crispiest, cracking chicken skin ever. Just be sure to pack enough for tomorrow's lunch because there won't be any leftovers.
Is there any better pairing than Sunday and meal prep? There's something comforting about having all your meals prepared or thought out for the entire week. And when it comes to meal planning, our favourite kind of recipes make enough for tonight's dinner and tomorrow's lunch, and use very few kitchen tools like our one skillet chicken puttanesca. But what is puttanesca? Find out here.
Is there anything more delicious than crispy chicken skin? Chicken thighs in particular are incredibly delicious and packed with bone-in flavour and when seared correctly make for the ultimate crackling chicken ever. Now, pair it with the puttanesca trifecta of olives, capers and tomatoes and you've got yourself a crispy prostitute.
Puttanesca sauce is made from tomatoes, black olives, capers, onions, garlic, basil and anchovies giving its reputation of being pungent and invigorating.
The trick for the crispiest, pan fried chicken puttanesca involves chicken thighs skin down on a cold skillet dressed with salt and pepper. Gradually building up heat, the fat renders out slowly and what you're left with are juicy and flavourful chicken thighs glazed with crackling skin and a harmonious medley of citric tomatoes, early capers and tangy olives ideal over pasta, rice or a simple salad. But if we can give you any tip, pack tomorrow's lunch before you eat dinner because this crispy skillet chicken puttanesca is one for the recipe books.
How to Make Crispy Chicken Puttanesca
Ingredients and Preparation
Ingredients you'll need for our chicken puttanesca include, chicken thighs, garlic, anchovies (optional but recommended), tomatoes, black olives, capers, basil, salt and pepper.
Preheat your oven to 400°F and have an oven safe skillet or dutch oven ready.
Cook the Chicken
Pat the chicken dry with a cloth or paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin down in a cold, oven safe skillet. Place on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes, without touching the chicken until the skin is crispy and brown.
Add the Puttanesca Ingredients
Turn the chicken over and add the garlic and anchovies. Mash the anchovies into a paste, then add the tomatoes, olives, and capers, being careful not to cover the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven to cook for an additional 15-18 minutes, until the tomatoes are starting to breakdown.
Style and Serve
Lay a spoonful of the puttanesca sauce on your favourite plate. Top with the chicken, skin side up, then spoon additional sauce on top. Garnish with basil and serve with a side of pasta or salad.
Helpful Tools for Making Our One Pot Crispy Chicken Puttanesca
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our chicken puttanesca recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
Thank you for helping support us through these purchases. If you have made this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!
The Crispiest Skillet Chicken Puttanesca
- 6-8 chicken thighs skin on and boneless
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 3-4 anchovy fillets
- 2.5 cups tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup black olives pitted
- 2 tablespoon capers chopped
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- No. 1 | Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- No. 2 | Pat the chicken dry with a cloth or paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin down in a cold, oven safe skillet. Place on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes, without touching the chicken until the skin is crispy and brown.
- No. 3 | Turn the chicken over and add the garlic and anchovies. Mash the anchovies into a paste then add the tomatoes, olives, and capers, being careful not to cover the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven to cook for an additional 15-18 minutes, untils the tomatoes are starting to breakdown.
- No. 4 | To serve, garnish the chicken with basil and serve with salad, pasta, or on a sandwich.