A simple and versatile dish suitable for any time of the year, we made a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp lightly spiced with cinnamon and ginger, then topped it with a sweet and filling oat crisp biscuit topping.
Crisp - apple, plum, cherry, maple, blueberry, peach and apricot - crisp. One of the easiest and most simple desserts, fruit crisp, crumble or cobbler, offers the comfort of a baked pie without the work of making piecrust. What's not to love? Our favourite crisp duo involves sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb baked to reveal natural fruit juices and syrup hiding beneath flaky oat biscuits. Serve this wholesome classic straight out of the oven and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprig of mint. The perfect summer dessert to any summer dish.
Crisp vs Crumble vs Cobbler. What's the Difference?
So what makes crisp, well a crisp? Simply put, crisp is a fruit-based dessert that's topped with a mixture of oats, flour, butter, brown sugar and sometimes nuts, then baked in the oven. A crumble is similar to a crisp, but the topping is made without oats.
A cobbler, on the other hand, has the same fruit base but is topped with a biscuit topping instead of the sweetened oat topping. Our recipe is sort of a cross between the two, using the oat-based topping, but forming it into biscuit-like shapes. It's really the best of both worlds.
How to Make a Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp - Step by Step Instructions
Ingredients to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Fresh rhubarb, fresh strawberries, white sugar, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, salted butter, brown sugar, flour, baking powder and oats.
Step 1 | Preparation for Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Slice a bunch of rhubarb into half-inch pieces, about 6 cups worth, and quarter 4 cups worth of strawberries.
Step 2 | How to Make the Strawberry Rhubarb Base
In a large bowl toss together chopped rhubarb and chopped strawberries with ¾ cup white sugar, ¾ teaspoon of cinnamon, and ¾ teaspoon of ginger. Set aside
Step 2 | How to Make Oat Biscuit Topping
In a medium bowl, combine 1 ½ cups flour, ½ cup old fashion oats, ½ cup brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Add ¾ cup cold butter and cut into the dry ingredients. Knead into a dough and form 9 biscuits.
Step 3 | Assemble the Crisp
Pour the strawberry rhubarb mixture into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish and spread out into an even layer. Top with the oat crisp biscuits.
Step 4 | Bake the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Place the crisp in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes, until the fruit is bright and softened, and the biscuits lightly browned. Remove and cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Step 5 | How to Serve Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Serve the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with a heaping spoonful of freshly whipped cream or a big scoop of your favourite ice cream.
Shop our Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
Shop the look, shop the styling, shop the recipe
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our Strawbery Rhubarb Crisp. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
Our Favourite Essential Cooking Tools
Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Fruit Filling
- 6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Crisp Biscuit Topping
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cold salted butter grated
- No. 1 | Preheat oven to 350°F.
- No. 2 | In a large bowl, toss strawberries and rhubarb with white sugar, ginger, and cinnamon, then set aside.
- No. 3 | In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking powder. Mix in the butter with a fork, then form it into a shaggy dough. Transfer the dough to your countertop and knead until it comes together. Roughly shape the dough into 9 evenly sized biscuits.
- No. 4 | Pour the strawberries and rhubarb into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish and place handfuls of the crumble mixture loosely on top.
- No. 5 | Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown. Serve with fresh strawberries and ice cream or whipped cream