Cool cucumber, spicy radishes and crunch chickpeas come together to make a beautiful and refreshing Cucumber Chickpea Salad. Perfect for potlucks, picnics or backyard gatherings, this salad relies on the beauty of a vegetable peeler to finely graze and ribbon these vegetables into flat noodles.
It amazes us how food, no matter how you slice and dice it, doesn't always taste the same. Think about it. A root vegetable like a potato can be juliened, cubed, or mashed and taste completely different with each method. One of our favourite tools to use in the kitchen (besides our knife, and our Vitamin) is our peeler. It can reveal bright orange underneath a dirty carrot, peel the skin off a potato, and (our favourite) turn any vegetable into flowy ribbons perfect for styling soups or layering into salads.
Using our handy peeler to ribbon a whole cucumber, we also enlisted the help of our mandolin to finely alive radishes and red onions, gathering each layer onto a plate, tossing it in a ginger numeric dressing and topping it with crunchy chickpeas. What we love most about this salad, aside from the cut of the cucumbers, is the potency of the turmeric dressing, richly yellow and brightly golden and serving this noodle-esque salad like a giant bowl of pasta.
Chef Sous Chef
Two Step Cucumber and Chickpea Salad
- 2 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric freshly grated
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large cucumber ribboned or diced
- ½ cup canned chickpeas
- 1 small radish thinly sliced
- 1 mini red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley for garnish
- No. 1 | Grate ginger and turmeric into a bowl and add the honey. Pour in cider vinegar and whisk until it comes together. Add oil while continuing to whisk and season with salt and pepper.
- No. 2 | Using a vegetable peeler, create ribbons with the cucumber and arrange on a large plate. Dress the cucumber using about half the dressing. Arrange the radish and red onion on the cucumbers then sprinkle the chickpeas evenly around the salad. Spoon on the rest of the dressing and garnish with parsley.