It's not often we toot our own horns and call ourselves creative geniuses in the kitchen. But when something magical happens during the recipe testing process and when ingredients are harmonious and methods are refined and fateful, you thank the recipe gods and publish the article ASAP as you lick the remnants of Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich off your fingers.
But what is it that makes our fried chicken the best you've ever had? It all starts by skipping the liquid brine and instead concocting a curry powder paste combined with garlic, shallots, mangoes and scotch bonnet peppers to seal in the natural juices of the chicken and infuse the chicken. Inspired by Donna Hay's Katsu Curry Fried Chicken Burger, we put an Island twist on her version by marinating the chicken in West Indian curry, scotch bonnets, and sweet mango. The thick curry paste clings to the chicken and eliminates the traditional buttermilk dunk before the final flour coating before frying.
The end result? A chunky crispy outside with a juicy and flavourful inside with notes of curry spices and a sweet mango base makes this the ultimate friend chicken.
Serving this Curry Fried Chicken between a grilled bun slathered with spicy mayo and topped with a cool coleslaw takes this sandwich to another level of comfort food and is the ultimate transition dish into fall while still reaping the sunshiny benefits of summer.
Bon appetit xo
Chef Sous Chef
How to Make the Best Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich
Ingredients to Make Our Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich
Chicken thighs, Caribbean curry powder, cumin, mango, limes, shallots, garlic, scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, buns, salt and pepper.
Pound the Chicken
Place the chicken thighs in a single layer on plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer or bottom of a small saucepan, pound out the chicken thighs to a ¼ inch thickness. Place in a bowl for marinating.
Make the Spicy Curry Marinade
In a small food processor, blend together the curry powder, cumin, mango, lime juice, shallot, garlic, scotch bonnets, thyme, salt and black pepper. Massage the marinade into the chicken and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Dredge the Chicken
Combine flour, cornmeal, and baking powder in a large reusable food container or resealable bag. Place each piece of marinated chicken in the flour and shake vigorously until all thighs have a thick coating of flour on them. Shake off excess flour and place on a plate.
Fry the Chicken
Heat the frying oil to 350° F in a large saucepan on medium heat. Use a thermometer to keep track of the oil temperature. Carefully lay 1-2 pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil.
How to Assemble our Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich
Using your favourite sandwich bun, lather a thick layer of mayo on the bottom bun. Top with 1-2 pieces of the fried chicken and top that with a handful of lettuce or coleslaw. Dollop with additional mayo.
Helpful Tools for Making Our Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Below are affiliate links to products that will assist you in making our fried chicken recipe. If you purchase an item through the links, Chef Sous Chef Inc. will receive a small commission. There is no additional cost to you.
- Meat Mallet
- Vitamix Blender
- Global Chef's Knife Set
- Oil Thermometer
- Large Food Container
- Medium Saucepan
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Spoons
Thank you for helping support us through these purchases. If you have made this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!
The Clucking Best Curry Fried Chicken Sandwich EVER
- 4 chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- ¼ cup Caribbean curry powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin geera
- ¼ cup diced mango
- 2 large limes juiced
- 1 small shallot minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt + additional for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 cups peanut oil or other frying oil
- ¼ cup mayo
- No. 1 | Place the chicken thighs in a single layer on plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound out the chicken thighs to a ¼ inch thickness. Place in a bowl for marinating.
- No. 2 | In a small food processor, blend together the curry powder, cumin, mango, lime juice, shallot, garlic, scotch bonnets, thyme, salt and black pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoon on the mixture and pour the rest over the chicken thighs. Massage the marinade into the chicken and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- No. 3 | Heat the peanut oil to 350° in a large saucepan on medium heat. Use a thermometer to keep track of the oil temperature. While the oil is coming to temperature, mix the remaining curry marinade with 2 tablespoon of water. Cook in a small saucepan on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool, mix the curry sauce with mayo for topping the sandwich.
- No 4 | Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder in a large tupperware container or ziploc bag. Place each piece of marinated chicken in the flour and shake vigorously until all thighs have a thick coating of flour on them.
- No. 5 | Fry the chicken in small batches for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack lined with paper towel. Season with salt while they are still hot.
- No. 6 | Serve on your favourite bun with curried mayo, coleslaw or greens, tomatoes, cheese or whatever else you like.