Our creamy Dill Pickle Hummus is a tangy twist on the classic hummus. With fermented dill pickles, pickle juice, and the usual chickpeas, lemon, garlic clove, and tahini, this easy hummus recipe is made in a Vitamix and comes together in minutes.
Hummus is the best appetizer recipe. It’s easy to make, usually only requires pantry ingredients, and can be made days in advance. It’s my party trick, the dip I make when guests come over, served with crunchy veggies and pita bread or on a Middle Eastern-inspired Mezze Board – and it always gets devoured.
Dill pickle hummus is an easy hummus recipe I’ve been making for years now. Creamy, tangy, and garlicky, it’s made with salty fermented dill pickles, pickle brine, lemon juice, lemon zest, tahini, garlic, salt, and of course, canned chickpeas. My favorite part is tossing all the ingredients right into the Vitamix (no chopping required) and blending until it forms the creamiest hummus ever.
This homemade hummus recipe is the perfect snack for dill pickle lovers. And while the dill pickle Costco hummus is sold in a big container at a great price, our version is packed with a briny dill flavor, uses natural ingredients, and is made without additives or unnecessary ingredients (have you looked at the ingredients in the store-bought version?).
Serve our dill pickle hummus on our Crudités Platter or as a vegetarian appetizer or side dish to any Game Day or Super Bowl Recipe. If you love hummus, try our Cauliflower Beet Hummus or our Hummus topped with Dukkah.
- Chickpeas: the recipe uses drained canned chickpeas, but dried chickpeas work as well.
- Lemon: the zest and juice of the lemon are used in our hummus recipes.
- Dill Pickles: both pickles and brine are used. We like deli-style fermented dill pickles, but vinegar-based dill pickles do give an extra dill pickle flavor.
- Garlic: fresh garlic, skins removed.
- Salt: sea salt or kosher.
- Olive oil: extra virgin, the best quality you have.
- Dill: freshly chopped dill for garnish, if you have.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Recipe Steps: How to Make Dill Pickle Hummus
1. Add ingredients to the blender.
Add chickpeas, tahini, lemon zest and juice, dill pickle, garlic, and salt to the container of a blender and blend until it has a chunky consistency.
2. Add pickle juice.
Pour in pickle brine and continue to blend for another 10-15 seconds.
3. Make it smooth.
Taste the hummus and add a little more pickle brine if needed for a creamier consistency. Use the tamper or scrape down the sides of your blender and continue to blend until completely smooth and creamy.
4. Style and serve.
Dollop the hummus into a shallow bowl and spread using the back of a spoon or spatula. Drizzle with olive oil and top with chopped dill pickles or slices, and finely chopped dill. Serve with pita bread, crackers, or crunchy vegetables like cucumbers and carrots.
Be sure to zest the lemon before cutting it for juicing. There’s nothing worse than trying to zest a half lemon.
This recipe is based on using a Vitamix Ascent Series A3500 (affiliate link) but you can use another high-powered blender or food processor. It may take a little longer and I recommend chopping the pickles and garlic for a creamy consistency.
- How to Make Spicy Hummus: Simply add 1 tablespoon of pickled jalapenos along with the other ingredients. For an even spicier hummus replace some of the pickle brine with jalapeno brine.
- 1-14 oz can chickpeas drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 dill pickles diced
- 1 lemon zest (1 tsp) and juice (2-3 tbsp)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon pickle brine plus additional, if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon dill fresh chopped, optional
- Add chickpeas, lemon zest and juice, dill pickle, garlic, and salt to the container of a blender and blend until its a chunky consistency.
- Pour in pickle juice and continue to blend for another 10-15 seconds.
- Taste the hummus and add a little more pickle brine, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed for creamier consistency. Use the tamper or scrape down the sides of your blender and continue to blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Dollop the hummus into a shallow bowl and using the back of a spoon or spatula spread it out into a circle. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped dill pickles and finely chopped dill. Serve with pita bread, crackers or crunchy vegetables.